Garage Conversion: Week 3

While the plumbing situation is still in progress and our contractor is dealing with the city for final approval on our blueprints, we spent the weekend cleaning up the backyard.

Saturday morning was spent at the beach before we rolled up our sleeves and got to work. Alex tackled the leftover tree stumps on the side of the house while I tended to our raised veggie bed and fruit trees. The previous owners had leftover landscaping blocks which I used to section off the peas and pumpkins. Then I plucked up all the weeds and grass surrounding the raised bed because they were warping the wood and relocated the trimmings to cover the plants and trees. It’s basically free mulch and will help our plants’ roots retain moisture.

Alex’s task was much more difficult so on Sunday, he hired two day laborers (including Freddy, the same person who helped him assemble the shed a few weeks ago). Freddy brought one of his dudes who came with his own tools including a huge axe. Alex also rented a tree stump grinder from Home Depot which Freddy helped transport in his truck. After about 4 hours, they removed the two large stumps on the side, two stumps in the back near the fruit trees, one stump near the veggie bed, another stump near the living room window, and one by the backyard stairs that was buried under ivy and old brush – 7 stumps total! It was a ton of work but much cheaper than if we had hired a tree removal company.

After the garage conversion is complete, we’ll work on building a DIY irrigation system. There are rusty hose hook-ups in the backyard which we’re hoping to get up and running with a little rejiggering.

Towards the end of the week, our contractor and his crew got the pipes in place, removed the garage door, and framed out the windows. It’s starting to take shape, and now all we need is the city’s permit approval so we can start bringing these blueprints to life.